Thank you for considering the Rothko Chapel for a private service. The Rothko Chapel’s understated beauty and serene atmosphere make it an ideal space for events commemorating significant life passages. Approved events include weddings, memorials services, Baptisms, Bar and Bat Mitzvahs and other select ceremonies. The Rothko Chapel is a sacred space. It is requested that all events be conducted with a spirit of reverence. A list of ministers, musicians, reception sites and hotels near The Rothko Chapel is available upon request.
The process for conducting a private service at the Rothko Chapel is as follows:
1. REVIEW the Private Services Policies
2. IDENTIFY someone to serve as your official on-site coordinator for the day of your service. (Note: It is preferable that this person not be involved in the service itself in order to ensure his
or her availability to coordinate with the Rothko Chapel staff as needed).
3. SUBMIT the completed Private Services Application and Chapel Setup page via mail, email or fax to:
Yma Luis, Visitor Services and Volunteer Coordinator
1409 Sul Ross Street, Houston, TX 77006
4. MEET in person with Rothko Chapel staff to:
a. Review the Private Service Policies.
b. Conduct an on-site walk-through of the Chapel.
c. Confirm seating arrangement, set-up requests and fees.
d. Sign the agreement and pay the non-refundable deposit of $500.
PLEASE NOTE: In order to formally reserve the Chapel for your preferred date, you and your on-site coordinator must meet in person with Chapel staff and pay the non-refundable deposit. Upon receipt of your Private Services Application, Rothko Chapel staff will contact you to schedule the in-person meeting.
5. PAY in full the remaining balance one week prior to the service.
Thank you for your interest in the Rothko Chapel. We look forward to providing a meaningful and
Bates Photo Studio
Private Services Policies
Thank you for taking the time to carefully review the policies below.
The Rothko Chapel has developed a set of policies to ensure that services run smoothly and professionally.A dedicated Chapel representative will work with you to prepare for the service. He or she will be on-site during the service itself to help you as needed and to enforce the policies below. In addition, Chapel hosts will be present inside the Chapel at all times to monitor the paintings and ensure that guests respect the Chapel guidelines.Because the Rothko Chapel is a sacred space home to Mark Rothko’s murals, primary consideration will always be given to respecting the artwork.
• The base fee for a private service is $1000.
• A non-refundable deposit of $500 is required in order to secure a reservation.
• Additional fees include:
• $250 if either or both apply:
• Services scheduled after 5pm
• Services with 100 or more guests
• $200 for use of the sound system, includes sound technician.
• $100/hour for on-site dressing rooms.
• Services may last no more than 60 minutes including seating and departure of guests.
• Services must take place between the hours of 11am and 7pm.
• Services may not be scheduled more than 6 months in advance.
• Services may not be scheduled during holidays observed by the administrative offices. Blackout dates include: MLK Day, President’s Day,
Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day,
Thanksgiving Day/Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve – New Year’s Day.
• Services or receptions are not permitted on the plaza or lawn.
• An in-person meeting is required to secure a reservation.
• Wedding rehearsals the day before the service between 5-6pm are strongly encouraged.
• A maximum of 150 people are allowed for private services.
• All guests must be seated during the service.
• Additional guests will not be allowed to stand inside but will be directed to overflow seating or on the Plaza.
• Guests will be seated no more than 15 minutes before the beginning of the service.
• All guests will receive a card welcoming them to the Rothko Chapel and informing them of the Chapel’s guidelines.
• Live music is welcome.
• A sound technician can be hired to run the Rothko Chapel’s sound system to play recorded music and/or use microphones
• Photography and videotaping are not permitted inside the Chapel building but are permitted on the Chapel grounds upon request.
• Cell phones and other electronic devices should be silenced. No talking on cellphone inside the Chapel.
Flowers and Decoration
• Decorations including candles, flower arrangements,
photographs, artwork, or slides are not permitted inside the Chapel or on the Plaza. Flowers and rice may not be thrown on the Chapel Plaza.
• One framed photograph (no larger than 11” W x 14” H) may be placed on the desk foyer 15 minutes prior to the service.
• One small flower arrangement (no larger than 15 “W x 20” H) may be placed on the desk in the foyer 15 minutes prior to the service.
NOTE: This Flower arrangement may be delivered no earlier than one-hour prior to the ceremony.
• A bride may carry one small bouquet during the ceremony.
• A guestbook may be placed on a podium provided by the Chapel.
• Please note: Caskets or funerary urns are not permitted in the Chapel or on the Plaza.