become a Rothko Chapel intern
Our interns are involved in activities that can range from office support to more substantive projects, depending on the needs of the organization and your skills.
The Rothko Chapel is always looking for dedicated individuals who possess a strong interest in the areas of art, spirituality, and human rights, and who seek to gain valuable experience working within a non-profit organization. Internship opportunities are made available on a case-by-case basis, and are customized depending on the applicant’s area of interests, skills and past work experience, and duration of commitment, availability, and the organizations’ needs.
Fall – Winter
September – December
Winter – Spring
January – May
June – August
The Rothko Chapel seeks an enthusiastic intern to work in the Rothko Chapel archives. The unpaid internship provide an invaluable opportunity for a student or post-grad interested in pursuing studies or a career in archives, library science, or the non-profit sector. The Rothko Chapel Archive contains over 400,000 items stored in archival quality boxes and filing cabinets documenting the Chapel’s history since its founding in 1971. The summer internship will consist of a variety of tasks in support of the ongoing maintenance and strengthening of the Rothko Chapel Archive. The intern will process collections, catalog and process books, help prepare information and collections for research, and perform any other function necessary to the operation of the Rothko Chapel Archive. This internship position reports to the Director of Programs and Community Engagement.
• Process incoming and backlogged collections by accessioning them into the main collection.
• Organizing archival materials
• Re-housing documents in acid-free folders and containers
• Arrange, describe, and manage inventory using ArchivesSpace
• Assist researchers on-site electronically with reference requests
• Lift boxes of no more than 50 lbs.
• Manage the digitization of the collection, using internal and external resources as needed
• Strong organizational skills required
• Must be detail oriented with excellent research skills
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
• Ability to work independently with little or no supervision
• Ability to work in a team and to prioritize projects
• Goal oriented with exceptional time management
• Competency working with databases and in Microsoft Office systems
• Experience working in archives or libraries is preferred
Unpaid/Volunteer Internship (January-May 2019) with the possibility of an extension
Work an average of 20 hours per week (schedule is flexible)
To apply, please email letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please.
The Rothko Chapel is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values and encourages a diverse workforce.