The Chapel Host is both the face of the chapel and guardian of the chapel. The primary functions of this position are to protect the paintings and provide hospitality to guests. The host must be knowledgeable of the chapel’s mission and history. This position involves standing in silence for long periods of time. This job requires a flexible schedule allowing the opportunity to work days, evenings, and weekends. The host must maintain a regular minimum of 14 hours per week.
The Chapel is open every day from 10am-6pm, and some evenings.
Status: Part-time, Hourly, Non-exempt
• Guard the paintings and monitor visitors to ensure they respect the space and do not damage the paintings.
• Provide hospitality to Chapel guests, answer questions, and educate the public about the Chapel’s mission and history.
• Operate the front desk including gift shop transactions and donations, and keep the chapel stocked with inventory, brochures, and visitor sign-in sheets.
• Track and record the number of visitors to the chapel daily as well as during events and programs.
• Provide additional support during events, programs and services that may include set-up and breakdown of benches, chairs, speakers, meditation cushions, etc.
• Help maintain the tidiness of the Chapel, plaza, and public bathrooms by performing regular checks and basic/routine housekeeping.
• Provide supervision and support to volunteers.
• The ability to stand quietly while remaining alert for long periods of time.
• Able to move/respond quickly, and able to lift up to 25 pounds.
• Attention to detail (i.e. tracking visitors, observing changes to paintings, maintaining a neat and clean environment, recording sales and donations)
• Courteous, cooperative, and supportive team player.
• Experience as a museum guard or gallery attendant preferred.
• Available to work evenings and weekends and on-call to fill in for other Hosts as needed.
• Adherence to a dress code.
• Attend staff meetings and any required trainings and continuing education
• Work regularly assigned schedule and any additional events and programs needed
• Adhere to policies and procedures of the organization.
• Represent the Chapel and embody its core values.
To apply, please email letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
The Rothko Chapel is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values and encourages a diverse workforce.