Position Title: Chapel Attendant
Department: Visitor Services
Pay Type: Part-Time/Seasonal, Hourly, Non-Exempt; Starts at $14/hr
Reports To: Chapel Supervisor
The Rothko Chapel is a work of art, a sacred space of contemplation, meditation, and prayer creating opportunities for spiritual growth and dialogue that illuminate our shared humanity and inspire action leading to a world in which all are treated with dignity and respect.
The Chapel Attendant is a key member of the Rothko Chapel team serving as a frontline representative by ensuring visitors maintain a safe distance from the artwork, are respectful of the space and other visitors, and follow all rules/guidelines. Chapel Attendants are also responsible for maintaining a neat environment and reporting any issues to management, as well as responsible for all opening/closing activities. Attendants must have a general understanding of the Chapel’s mission and historical significance; however, most conversations will be directed to the Visitor Welcome House. This position may require standing for long periods of time with minimal talking and/or distracting activity (verbal or via technology) within the Chapel sanctuary, as well as providing basic hospitality in the vestibule. This job requires a flexible schedule including working weekends, holidays, and some evenings.
- Help create an unobtrusive space and a respectful atmosphere for visitors to have their own experience by promoting the quietude of the Chapel by speaking softly and modeling the voice level/tone to visitors, when interaction is required
- As assigned, track and record the number of visitors to the Chapel daily as well as during events and programs.
- Help maintain the Chapel, plaza, and public restrooms by performing regular checks and basic, routine/basic housekeeping (more thorough cleaning services are contracted daily for restrooms).
- Adhere to policies and procedures of the organization and embody the Chapel’s core values
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- The ability to stand and remain vigilant for long periods of time.
- Ability to respond quickly and agilely to disruptions and/or to enforce Chapel policies.
- Ability to use standard MS Office software (Excel/Word, Outlook, Teams) as well as Scheduling software (currently the Chapel uses Homebase) a plus
- Able to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Courteous, cooperative, and supportive team player.
- Interpersonal skills including:
- A helpful, courteous, and patient manner while also being assertive and firm as required
- Developing and maintaining positive professional rapport with staff and volunteers
- A commitment to diversity and serving the needs of a diverse population
- Available to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Able to work regularly assigned schedule as well as irregularly scheduled shifts on an as-needed basis.
- Adherence to a dress code; stipend provided to help staff members.
- Represent the Chapel and embody its core values.
Education & Experience
- Experience as a museum guard or gallery attendant preferred
- Experience in visitor services and hospitality preferred
- Knowledge of art/art history, human rights, or world religions a plus
- Fluency in more than one language a preferred