experience the chapel
The Rothko Chapel is like nothing you’ve ever experienced. Come as you are, and while you’re here, feel free to meditate, view our treasured works of art, focus attention inward, or just let go of the chaos of the world for a while.
Every visit is its own unique experience, building on the one that came before it. Let your journey of discovery start today and lead to a lifetime of growth, contemplation, and action.
The Chapel is open Tuesday through Sunday from 10am to 6pm, including holidays. Please check our events calendar in advance of your visit as we close for Public Programs or Private Events approximately twice per month. Our hours are updated on our website and on Google 1 week in advance.
suzanne deal booth welcome house
At the Suzanne Deal Booth Welcome House, you begin and enhance your journey.
Hours: Tuesday through Sunday from 10am to 6pm, including holidays.
Location: 1410 Sul Ross, across the Sul Ross from the Chapel (utilizing the raised crosswalk).
Explore the history of this renowned sacred art space by reading the stories of the Chapel's founders, artists, and architects. Discover your place within the Chapel's community by learning about upcoming public programs and partnerships. Engage with the Chapel's future by becoming a donor and Friend of the Chapel, learning about the Opening Spaces Campaign, or joining our volunteer Guild program. Chapel staff are here to guide you along your way.
The Welcome House is home to the expanded Chapel Shop, providing keepsakes and momentos to help the experience of this unique space continue. Visit the Chapel Shop online at anytime. Online orders are available for curbside pickup and domestic shipping. Learn more and shop now.
The Rothko Chapel grounds are a welcoming, calming green space. The grounds act as an extension of the Chapel itself, making them an ideal place to reflect on your experience of the Chapel and the Broken Obelisk, or simply have a quiet moment of escape from the outside world.
The Chapel grounds are free and open to the public daily from dawn until dusk.
We invite you to come, immerse yourself in the tranquility of the grounds, and experience the stillness.
tips for visiting
All are welcome to enjoy the peacefulness of the Chapel. We ask that all visitors take care to respect the Chapel and its visitors by following these guidelines:
- Respect the silent, contemplative atmosphere
- Help preserve the works of art by maintaining a safe distance of a least two feet
- Refrain from taking photos and using technology
- Do not lie on the floor or benches
- Leave all food, liquids, and large bags outside or in the Welcome House lockers
- Only service animals may enter
While enjoying the Rothko Chapel grounds, please be mindful of the following guidelines:
- Please refrain from: wading or swimming in the reflecting pool, climbing in trees, littering, smoking, drinking alcoholic beverages, using glass containers, fires or grills, amplified music, motorized vehicles, or installing furnishings and hammocks.
- Advance permission is required for events, gatherings, and commercial photography.
- Non-exotic pets are welcome but must remain on a leash and owners must pick up after their pets